Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Need Advice!!

On feeding a one year old...

so we've been giving Luna wieners here. We're getting ready to try chicken, but for now it's been all about wieners. We're also trying hard to get two servings of vegetables and fruit a day. But lately Lulu has taken to throwing EVERYTHING on the floor.

I know this must be totally normal. I'm sure she loves the response she gets when we say "No!" So I've tried positive reinforcement - saying "Eat!" with a big smile when she actually does it and responding "Good! Good!"

I know that a baby's diet frequently dips when they hit the one year mark. So I've tried to think, "It's OK, she's just not hungry." But then she's so small...

So, it's been really frustrating me. Last night I put her on the floor with her food so she could eat it from there. :) And today at lunch, I just took it away after she threw half of it on the floor. I thought she would want it after she knew there wasn't any left - but no - she was perfectly happy to get down. And I know if I had given her banana or strawberries, she would have eaten everything...

so does anyone have any tips? Should I just feed her fruit, bread and milk products - or am I right to just put her down when she acts like this? Or is this just a phase that she will get through eventually? I've been trying to give her the veggies before the wiener, since she's most likely to get sick of the veggies first. But today at lunch I gave her cheese first, while we waited for the wiener to be ready - and I wonder if that isn't why she ate only 2 pieces.

Any other ideas for good first table foods to try (that are easy for her to self feed and aren't too messy or hard to prepare?) Right now we mostly do:

1. yogurt
2. bread
3. cheese
4. biscuits
5. wieners
6. steamed broccoli or green beans
7. lunch meat
8. noodles
9. bananas
10. strawberries

HELP!

6 comments:

Jess said...

Totally normal, frustrating, but normal, and I think you are doing the right thing. I googled this and found a bunch of different solution/suggestions, all of which seemed worthy of trying. http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080306061940AAuBGS3
Good luck!

Rachel said...

At age one, my girls loved fruit the most, but also liked kidney beans, frozen peas (straight from the freezer), little pickles, soy beans, & guacamole! Hang in there...sounds like she's one smart cookie who is already learning about mother/daughter dynamics!! (Believe me, I feel like an expert in this devision! :) Trust your instincts!

Katie said...

Thanks for some great ideas!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Katie, it's Nichole from Kindercare. I saw your need for help =) Everything I have read and learned about for childhood nutrition says to just keep trying the foods you want them to eat. It may take a while but eventually Luna will outgrow this. I'm not sure how you or Luna's doctor would feel about this but have you thought about giving her pediasure or nutrapals supplements. It tastes like a milkshake but it is so nutritious. That is what we give our foster children when they are neglected or failure to thrive and it works great for them. Good luck guys!
Nichole

SMondrach said...

Here's list of the stuff I can recall from Sayers first table foods. They are all pretty easy/fast to prepare.


Whole grain waffles
Baby cereal made pancakes
Meatballs...big winner (made mine with ground turkey- make a ahead and just defrost when needed)
Veggie burgers...really fast prep time
toast with cream cheese
scrambled eggs with cheese
ravioli...filled with cheese, beef or chicken
blueberries
grapes (quartered or halved)

oatmeal and cream of wheat (not a self-feeding item yet)

Let the fun begin!!

Katie said...

You ladies are awesome! Thank you! I think I've figured out that we have the most success when I give her something big that she can hold and tear or bite herself - as opposed to cutting it up for her. Guess she likes a little control (no big surprise considering her parents!) Bottom line is that if she is hungry, she'll eat something! Turns out she has also been cutting another tooth, so that may have something to do with it, too. But I got some great ideas for all your comments - thanks so much!