Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Grocery Store Socials...

So I met a woman with a baby at the Rewe in weisendorf today. It was funny, because I couldn't decided whether to go to the one in Herzo or in Weisendorf, and I finally decided on Weisendorf because I knew I could get some filets there. Guess it was providential...

I was finished with my shopping, and waiting in line at the bakery, and a woman came up behind me, also with a baby in her cart, and she was talking to Luna and making "sweet" with her. And so I started resonding, as best my German could afford, and asked how old her baby was (still no idea whether her baby was a boy or girl - but boy I think.) Turns out the baby was 2 weeks shy of 1 year, so I told her that Luna was 1, as of 08/07 and she soon figured out that my German wasn't good, but she was still coaxing Luna to say Mama and having fun with her. So I made my purchase, said Tchuess! and went on my way.

But then I ran into her again in the parking lot, as I was on my way to return the cart, and she told me (in very good English) that she would be very happy to meet again, if I wanted some company (after asking how long we're here, etc.) So she gave me her number and I told her that I would call her next week. She lives in Buch, which is a tiny town, very close to Weisendorf.

Her name is Jana. It will be so much fun for Luna to have a playmate, and for me to be able to have someone to practise my German with!

I also found out that most small towns have a sports center, where the town can go for classes and exercise. Apparently they usually have a kinder-mutter "turnen" which is like gymnasium for the kids - there is one in Herzo at 9:30 on Friday's that I know of, but think that there will be one in Weisendorf as well. Won't find out until September when it's open after vacation again - but I think that will be fun, too! Seems like a great way for Luna to be around other kids, and another way for me to practise my German!

No comments: