Friday, April 1, 2011

My Crazy Day -or- You Can't Be Scared of Receptionists

I had a crazy week.  I've done it to myself, so I can't complain.  But I thought I would share one particularly funny episode from Wednesday morning...

Tuesday was packed to the gills... meetings, dr.'s appointments, pharmacy pick-ups, play dates, back and forth, what have you's.  So I was completely scatterbrained Tuesday night, when I checked the schedule for Wednesday, and made out a short list of to-do's to "grab and go" in the morning...  it was surprisingly shorter than I thought.

Bad sign.

So I got up on Wednesday and thought, "This is great!  I have time to eat breakfast, and get a shower, and take my time!"  So after eating breakfast, and trawling FB for a while, I got in the shower.  It was 7:50.  Just after shampooing my hair, and just before I picked up the soap I realized that I was supposed to be at the Dermatologist's office at 8 am.

The dermatologist's office who I showed up to a day early on my  first appointment.  The dermatologists's office with whom I had already had a go-around this week over which, and how, many prescriptions for face creams they were asking me to fill.  The dermatologist's office whose receptionist had suggested I have my husband call to clarify an issue, I'm assuming because they presumed his German to be better than my own.  But most importantly, the very same dermatologist's office who had asked me to sign a piece of paper stating that if I did not show for an appointment, I would still be expected to pay for said appointment.  Oh, and by the way - this dermatologist's office is about 20 minutes away.

And Luna was still downstairs in her pajamas...  if it were just me I could probably do it.  But there was no way I could get Luna to school, and then also to the dermatologist in time...

At 8:10 am, I was at the receptionist's desk, with sopping wet hair, and one tangle-haired, pajama-wearing daughter under my arm.  Fortunately there had been a parking space almost right outside the door.  I made the calculated risk to not go to the machine, where you buy the ticket, which pays for parking...  after all, a parking ticket was cheaper than the doctor's appointment!

I knew that she (the receptionist) knew who I was, but I was receiving such a flat stare that I said "Frau de Laat...  Ich habe ein Termine..."  although it came out sounding more like a question than I had hoped.  She looked at me with complete blankness and said, I will translate for you, "Yes, but your appointment was for 8 o'clock."   What else could I say but "Ja, und jetz bin Ich hier."  (Yes, and now I am here.)

One rather terse look later, and she was telling me to "please take my place," or in other words, have a seat. SO I did.  And while I was there, in the middle of the waiting room, I also dressed my child.  But to preserve a bit of dignity, I left her pull-up on, and we went to the bathroom to take that off.  Since at that point she already had her pants on, I figured she could go sans panties until later...

The operation went off without a hitch (I had a mole removed.)  Luna sat quietly and played obliviously while they sliced and stitched me.  Then they informed me that I would have to stay out of the shower until my next appointment on Tuesday (which meant my unfinished shower had been my last, and that my upcoming weekend with the in-laws will be well, perhaps a bit stinky...) I said, thank you and see you next Tuesday as I walked out the door.

Well, after such an ordeal, who can blame me.  I cancelled from my next appointment, and decided to drop Luna off at school, head over to a friend's house to just simply relax and knit.  I needed a do-over to re-start my day.  And it was exactly "what the doctor ordered."

It wasn't until dinner that I realized that I had dropped my daughter off at kindergarten without any unterhosen (panties.)  And I was so proud when I realized that not only had she been commando in kindergarten, she had been, too!  She told us all about how she told all of her teachers about the fact that she had on no panties!  At least when I dropped her off I had told her teacher that our morning had been a bit "anders" - different.

Yes, it was different.

So to top that off, I thought I would share some pictures from my birthday, and Luna riding her bike.  Thanks for the new point and shoot Mom!















No comments: