Thursday, June 17, 2010

Aprons

My mom came across this entry in my Gandmother Phoebe's "memoirs" regarding aprons.  I loved it, so thought I would share it here...

14 April 2002 Aprons


One rarely sees a woman wearing an apron now-days. We more often see an apron on a son as he barbecues.


My grandmas wore long aprons gathered onto a band that tied in back. Usually they were removed when she was done in the kitchen. My mothers apron covered all the front of her dress and much of the back. Made with a straight front and straps that crossed in the back. Mamas were made on her sewing machine of bright prints and circled with colored bias tape. When laundring (sic) a bit of starch was used so they had body, and were clean and fresh looking. Mama always wore an apron over her dress. They matched the color of her house dresses. Mama was a heavy busted woman and I learned in the last years of her 88th yr of life that most of the reason she always wore an apron, after she no longer worked in the kitchen was a clothing one. She was uncomfortable in a bra and the apron over her slip & dress was an added cover up. Aprons had many uses. They were used to gather vegetables from the garden or eggs from the hen house. Hands were dried at the side or the bottom raised to whip (sic) a sweaty forehead and I’ve seen some women whip (sic) a childs nose. Often on a cold evening or windy day it was raised to wrap around ones arms to keep the chill away. Many a time I lifted the corner of my mamas apron to hide behind when a very unexpected stranger came to our prairie home door. They wiped a dish or dust from a table. Often Mama used a corner of hers to clutch the handle of a hot pan or lift a hot dish from the oven. My grandmas or Mama always had clean aprons to begin any job. In my day aprons became fancy and were more of a show item. I have a picture of Aunt Maud & I (sic) showing off our aprons. They had bibs or just came to the waste (sic). Of course they were shorter because dresses were, but often barely covered the front of ones (sic) skirt. They were made of print organdy or crocheted! Had unusual pockets. Most of the time we looked like we might be working but were really showing off.


No comments: