Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Conversations with Little Old German Ladies...

I've found that many of the elderly German ladies in our neighborhood, love to stop and talk.  When we first moved in here, I found it a bit intimidating, because I didn't understand a word they said... but I just had a lovely conversation with one of our local ladies, and was quite proud of my German skills!

She told me all about how she remembered my mother being here a year and a half ago, and walking Luna around in the stroller.  Then she told me how she had 4 children, and that was too many.  Her jaw dropped when I told her that my sister was about to have her 8th.

She remarked on how Luna was so small, so I told her that Luna was small for her age. Then she told me that her daughter has gone to live in the US, and has gotten fat - because of all the fattening American food.  And that she feels that German children are too "controlled."

This is what I really found fascinating.  I have always remarked on how the German toddlers are so well behaved.  When you see a Mum with her baby or toddler in the grocery store, you NEVER see that child having a temper tantrum.  It's like they're brainwashed or something!  I've never been able to figure out how they do it.  Now the older kids, frequently you see misbehaving, but never the younger ones!  In the states, I almost EXPECT a toddler to be having a tantrum in the store!

So she proceeded to tell me about how she thought the German kids were too well behaved, and how in 1947, when American kids started showing up here, how clear it was that they were always smiling and laughing, but the German kids were so, well, I guess, TOO well behaved!  I told her I really didn't even know how they did it - we're at a loss!

So then she asked if Luna had to take a nap, and said she should go on her way.  But I was so proud that I understood the whole conversation!  I'm sure I was grammatically incorrect when I answered her, but I think she got the point!

No comments: