Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Note from Phoebe...

A couple of weeks ago, after reading one of my Mom's updates on Phoebe (my 93(?) year old grandmother on my father's side) I sent her a note with a picture of Luna inside. Now that she's in a nursing home, I know she really appreciates the mail that she gets, especially since she's not getting all of the electronic emails and blog updates that the rest of the family gets!

Today I received a handwritten note back. I suppose I should have known that she would respond - but I just never thought of it! It was short and barely decipherable - her handwriting is getting very shaky, but I really cherished it. Her last line read "Before you know it Luna will be going to school..." Really such a simple statement, but means so much considering the memories it must bring back for her.

After Luna was born, at some point - I don't remember the occasion, I would have to dig it out to see - she sent me a note with an Anne Geddes picture of two babies in an old fashioned metal bathtub, and she talked about how it reminded her of how she and her cousin (I think) were most likely bathed together. I loved it.

Sometimes I wish so much that my family was all close in area. There's just no way to spend enough time with everybody that means so much to us. I know many people still live close to their close and even extended family, but it's happening less and less I think.

No comments: