Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Tuesday Adventure

So yesterday I went in to Erlangen to exchange something that we bought on Saturday. I wanted to go to the pool, but the sky was threatening rain. So, I drove in, just using my memory from Saturday combined with street signs and found it quite easy. It's about the equivalent of going to Easton (for those who knows what that is) from our old house - except you don't take the freeway.

Anyway, I did some shopping (forgot to look for a cupcake pan for Luna's birthday, so I will need to go back today,) and had a nice time, and it was great for Luna to get out. I decided to head back around 3 o'clock or so. By the time I got on the road it was clearly going to storm, and the rain hit just as I was heading into Herzo. By the time I was driving through Falkendorf on the way back to Munchaurach, which is where our apartment is, it was hailing, with sheets of rain. Any car going by threw 6 feet of water up onto the windshield, and our little car was throwing 3 feet at least on either side.

Well, the windshield wipers on the Nissan Micra must be the original ones. The rubber strip was hanging off - I'm still not sure whether it was easier to see with or without them going. I could barely see the road, and was praying the whole time. With such little provincial roads, I wasn't sure how I could pull over, and figured I was almost home anyway.

Well, in between our house and the bakery there ia a little valley, with our house and the bakery situated on separate hills. There is a little bridge down at the bottom that goes over what I would characterize as a stream or creek. I stopped short in the car when I saw that the bridge was inaccesible due to at least 2 1/2 feet of water blocking the approach! I watched a couple cars go through, and slide around and knew that I wasn't going to risk it in that car and with Luna in the back. I didn't think I would get swept away or anything - but getting stuck was a real possibility!!

So with little idea of the local roads, I turned around and stopped in at the local bank, thinking that the girls that work in there probably speak a bit of English. Once I explained the situation and that I needed an alternate route to the other side of teh bridge they asked their bank manager, and we figured it out in broken English and German. So I headed back to Falkendorf, made a right up into the country, and took a tiny little one lane road back over to Munchaurach.

Frau Maria was outside when I arrived home, and said that they had never seen it rain here like that. They were mopping out the inch or so of water in the main entrance area!! So that was my Tuesday adventure in Munchaurach!

No comments: