Wednesday, May 14, 2008

So for any male readers - BEWARE - TURN BACK NOW - this is all about shopping, prices and beauty products...

So our trip to Holland a couple weeks ago got me very excited about going back to Europe. The sidewalk cafes, bicycle trips to the local market, great bread, cheese and wine, and just the historical abundance of the environment, were really all I needed to get me gung-ho. But while I was there, I also had a bit of an agenda. Preparing to move to the European culture and marketplace set many questions to mind... I knew the cost of living was higher in most European countries - but by how much? I knew that trends in fashion and home decorating would be slightly different - but would I be an outcast by dressing from my closet? And I knew that some of my most highly valued beauty products wouldn't be available - but did that mean I would have to walk around looking frizzy haired and generally unattractive? So I did a little research while I was there and here is what I found...

1. Cost of Living - I found that the prices I've compared are pretty much exactly the same as they are here - except they're in Euros, which is currently exchanging to the dollar at 1.6:1! We bought a hair dryer, so that I have one once I get over there (priorities!) and it was 40E. I have practically the same hairdryer for 110 circuits here, and it was 40$. We looked up a BMW here, and it was 40k$ - in Germany it was 40kE. The only really substantial differences I've noticed so far are homes and alcohol. Alcohol is cheaper, and homes are more. I would say a 1500SF home goes for around 200k$ here (in Ohio) depending on amenities and neighborhood, and in the area we're looking at in Germany it's 300kE (remember the exchange rate... and then wish us luck!)

2. Trends - Skinny jeans, skinny jeans, skinny jeans! EVERYBODY was in skinny jeans. Not like here, where only kids and really young people are wearing them - it was everybody. I already had a pair, but I only wore them with high boots, when I wanted to wear the boots. They were wearing them with flats, ballet shoes and everything else. It really got me into it, so I went out and got another pair. Whenever I've worn them before, especially with flats, I just felt like they made my thighs look HUGE. But after seeing everyone there wearing them, I've been much more comfortable in my new pair. Also a big trend - blazers and trench coats. Given the weather wasn't great, but there was definitely that "euro-preppy" look going on. And although the store fronts all had a great deal of bright colors, I didn't see that on the streets - again, could have been the weather.

As far as home furnishings? Definitely more of a modern edge prevailed (think IKEA) but I was happy to see that there was some "traditional" and "eclectic" mixed in. Think we'll be OK - but will still have ahrd time deciding what to put into storage!

3. Beauty Products - my biggest worry was my Kiehl's Leave in Hair Conditioner. I had actually researched that prior to the trip and found that it is available in a shop in Nuremberg, which is only 30 minutes away. When we went to a CVS type shop, I also found that I'll be fine in most of my products. (I sound so superficial - but I was really dreading having to go through the whole trial and error thing!!) They have Herbal Essences (my shampoo, conditioner) a ton of mousse varieties (I'm sure I'll find something) lots of deodorants and lotions that are marketed here and L'Oreal - which will cover my face lotion, and most of my makeup. The only unknowns I still have are my new favorite mascara (CoverGirl LashBlast - if you haven't tried it yet you should!) and my face wash, Cetaphil, which is made by Galderma Labs. They may have it, I just didn't see it. Maybe they'll just have to be care package requests, if I can't find good replacements!

Good news is that my little research project ended with good results. We're going to be OK financially. I'm going to be OK with my closet. And my hair is going to be OK. Now I'm just looking forward to the sidewalk cafes, bicycle trips to the market, bread, wine and cheese!

No comments: