Friday, January 22, 2010

Wiesmann Roadster




About a year ago, I saw this car on the road in Nuernberg, and had no idea what it was, but was quite impressed with what I saw. I came home and told Bas about it, describing it as having "8 tail lights, and very muscular, old-school, roadster type fenders." But he had no ideas as to what it was.

Then last spring we got passed by one going the other direction, while he was driving - and I was like "that was it! That was it!" But he didn't get a really good look. SO I went home and googled every which way I could figure, and even trawled a list of all automakers hoping to find it. For some reason I have been bound and determined to figure out what it was...

Then I got super-passed (when someone blows by you, like you're standing still even though you're driving 100 mph) on the autobahn a couple weeks ago, by the same mystery car. I was by myself (translation - no Luna,) so I decided to see if I could catch up and make out the model. Well, I floored it and was probably doing 220 kph (135 mph), and wouldn't have caught up if it hadn't been for traffic, but I still couldn't make out the symbol.
So this week, Bas and I have been very excited because they are doing a "Top Gear" special in Amsterdam. Top Gear is one of our favorite shows, and for those of you at home, you can catch it on BBC. It's awesome - all about cars, which we both love, but also very well written and produced, and consequently, hilarious. I highly recommend it. They include a lot of travel segments and guest celebrities to round out all the car talk...

Anyway, so they were running one of the TV trailers and had an image of a car that reminded me of my mystery car, so I casually went back to Google on a whim and decided to type in "German Sports Car" and wouldn't you know it, but I didn't get Porsches - I got my mystery car! Right in the top results for Google Images. FINALLY!

So now we know. Their symbol is the Gecko, and they are basically a body manufacturer. All of their parts and engines are supplied by BMW. But they are definitely German, which explains the sudden sightings... not even that expensive, at about 70k in British Pounds (compared with other luxury cars anyway...) Would love to be driving around in one, if it weren't for our little backseat-tiger!


No comments: