Friday, February 12, 2010

Thai Green Curry

I couldn't sleep on Wednesday night, and I found myself fantasizing about the Thai Green Curry we had recently when we went to Zen (Thai restaurant) in Erlangen with friends.  So I made up my mind right then that I would try and make some the next day...

Having no clue how to really do it, I just went into the "Imports" section of the Grocery store, picked up what I thought I would need, and then kind of winged it last night.  And we were very pleased that it turned out really well - super yummy!

Here's what I did...

Ingredients:
beef or chicken cut into small chunks
green Thai curry paste
1 large can coconut milk (or 2 small cans)  shake before opening...
1 can Asian vegetables (bean sprouts, bamboo shoots, mushrooms, etc.,) drained
1 can bamboo shoots, drained (I love bamboo shoots, so I added this extra can)
cardamom
cumin
brown sugar
pressed garlic

2 paks Uncle Ben's Express or Ready Rice Paks (2 was for 2 people - it was spicy, so we needed lots of rice)


Prep:
Warm some olive oil in a large skillet, add meat with garlic, salt, heavy dash of cardamom and cumin, and 1 tsp of curry paste.  Cook over medium high heat until almost done to your liking.

Add 1 can of coconut milk, both cans of veggies, 1/4 to 1/2 cup of brown sugar, another heavy dash of cardamom and cumin, and another teaspoon of curry paste.  Cook over low heat until ready to serve. 

Check the taste of the sauce, if it's too spicy, add more coconut milk.  Not spicy enough?  Add more curry paste.  Add extra brown sugar to taste.

Toss Rice paks in the microwave according to instructions, and place in large shallow bowls, then add meat, veggies and sauce.

No comments: